Devenir tracks health savings accounts in the credit union industry closely through NCUA filings and variety of other sources. Below are some key points from our Q4-2017 analysis.
Key Credit Union Numbers
- $1.47 billion – Total HSA deposits held at credit unions totaled $1.47 billion as of 12/31/17, up 6.2%* year-over-year.
- $2,546 – Devenir estimates the average HSA balance at a credit union is $2,546 as of 12/31/17, up 10.6% year-over-year.
- 843 – There are 843 credit unions holding HSA deposits as of 12/31/17 (15% of credit unions), up from 832 credit unions at the end of 2016. There are 32 credit unions that each held at least $10 million in HSA deposits as of 12/31/17.
- 48% – The 25 largest HSA deposit holders among credit unions hold 48% of all HSA deposits at credit unions.
* Year-over-year HSA asset growth would have likely been closer to 13-14% but Alliant Credit Union’s HSA deposits were acquired by HealthEquity during Q4-2017.